Subcommittees within the DRF drive the Forum’s activities, meet to develop work items and direct the staff to execute the DRF’s Plan. Subcommittees include:
Advocate the need to certify the proper operation of refurbished wireless devices. Build awareness of the DRF, its brand mark and processes through cooperative branding, Public Relations and marketing.
- Create and promote the renewed device certification brand mark
- Launch a media tour to describe need and introduce the organization, certification process and brand (invited executives to participate)
- Target media, analysts, operators, device suppliers, retailers, “green” activists
- Conduct regional WebEx seminars to build awareness of brand and organization
- Conduct training on test specifications and self-certification process
- Develop marketing campaign to build industry and public awareness
- Create a DRF website
- Participate in relevant industry events (e.g., CES, CTIA, MWC)
- Assist in key message development and public relations
Develop and maintain certification “test” documents for each respective class of devices.
- Create certification documents for each respective device class, addressing:
- Devices covered
- Regional requirements
- Functional and physical test specifications and cases
- Review requirements and update certification documents, as necessary
- Publish and announce test specification updates
- Liaise with various organizations to understand potential changes to certification documents
Establish methods for evaluating performance against certification documents.
- Establish and publish methodology for conducting certification testing (e.g., self-certification process)
- Conduct training on test methodology
- Verify self-declarations
- Identify methods for spot-checking certification awards; site visits
- Identify potential test resources
- Ensure test facilities meet ISO 9000 and ISO 14001 requirements
- Conduct necessary validation testing
- Sustain the minimum certification levels including compliance to multi-step quality assurance inspection checklist
- Develop process for announcing organizations certified
- Provide feedback to specification team as necessary for document updates
Drive economies of scale globally for renewed devices that are certified.
- Interface with device manufacturers to simplify renewing process through proper lifecycle management techniques; publish recommended best practices
- Review scope of devices covered under certification process; make recommendations on expansion into other areas, for example:
- Infrastructure equipment renewal
- Other devices, e.g., Wi-Fi routers, etc.
- Review device requirements from member operators around the world with regard to renewed devices
- Establish process for aggregating demand for various markets
- Conduct device aggregation efforts, where required
Establish strategic relationships with standards, regulatory, amalgamation and other governmental organizations worldwide to cooperate in promoting the need and assign the resources to renew mobile devices.
- Understand changing regulatory requirements in various markets for renewed devices; determine necessary action to further DRF momentum
- Promote use of a DRF certification for all renewed devices through collaboration with industry bodies and government regulatory bodies
- Harmonize the amalgamation and certification process through test standards such as CCF, GCF, and other wireless standards
- Liaise with industry committees, relevant stakeholders and forums
- Influence standards bodies such as ETSI, 3GPP, 3GPP2, GSMA, GCF, IEEE when necessary to accelerate deployment of renewed devices